Wednesday, 4 May 2011

Wagons and Selbourne

I Popped down to Selbourne Hampshire last weekend to see Peter Ingram. He is a brilliant wagon painter but has now mainly hung up his brushes . He used to have a Romany Museum but this has now been dismantled. I've known Peter for many years and have always admired his painting. He has a free yet accurate style of painting tied with a huge knowledge, skill using brushes and a natural design flair.  Some wagons are over fussy and can look like they are stiff and stencilled but never one of Peter's.
Anyway, I am writing a little illustrated book and needed help with my Romany words , and he was able to help..and also commented that my book was charming !..Its not going to be a best seller but hopefully people will enjoy it...when I get it to the printers !
Thank you Peter for being such a great host and for helping me with my words !

Selbourne is very pretty, and is well known for the book 'The natural history of Selbourne, written by Gilbert White. Gilbert White is now regarded as Britain's first Ecologist.There is a museum there but I didn't have time to visit it..next time. I wish I had had time because the weather was beautiful and I'm sure the gardens they have there were beautiful.I did walk through the fields behind the church. I also walked up the zig zag steps before walking three times anti clockwise around the sarson stone at the top..and wish !.Of course Peter might have made that bit up..he is a great teller of old Gypsy stories. There was also an exhibition about Captain Lawrence Oates who was with Scott in the South Pole. He is the one unfortunately remembered as saying " I an just going outside...I may be some time ". Sadly he never came back.



Today I've been finishing aged white furniture for a ladies holiday cottage in Cornwall..old white is very popular these days..couldn't be more opposite to the fairground and wagon painting !
I have opened a shop on Etsy selling postcards of my paintings of gypsy scenes-  http://www.etsy.com/shop/KushtiBok?ref=si_shop

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely weekend Katie. Hope the wish comes true - you have to believe it with all your heart and then it will come true:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have very fond memories of visiting Peter and his museum, I even interviewed him for a school project. I believe that experiences such as talking to Peter contributed to me becoming a blacksmith. found this web page when looking to see what became of the museum.
    Thankyou
    David Gregory

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/766098-Romany-Gypsy-Caravan
    Just saw this photo on ebay and remembered the Gypsy artist who gave me advice years ago when I was trying to buy a showmans caravan. I visited his museum in Selborne, and when I saw this photo I thought it was the same gentleman Peter Ingram, is he still alive, he was very skilled. Great Artist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Peter Ingram is very much alive and well, He has just published a great little book about cooking outside recipes and some of his poems...made me smile. You can buy it via Cottage books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peter Ingram was a friend of my late husband, John Barker and I remember him making me some wooden flowers. Also for my wedding present he made me some pegs and then when I was having my son he gave me some root wood to hold.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

Blog Top Sites