Friday, 18 February 2011

My Workshop

Yes this really is my workshop. It's called The Limehouse, hence the limehouse blog. My rents due so my next trip is to see Lord Wemys in his office at Stanway House. He is quite an amazing man, constantly on the go up and down to his estate in Scotland etc but always remembers who you are and asks whats going on and is very genuine.Stanway House is a beautiful Jacobean Manor house with a fantastic gravity fed fountain that rises to 300feet...the tallest in Britain. There is more information at www.stanwayfountain.co.uk
The nearby thatched cricket pavilion was donated by J.M.Barrie author of Peter Pan . In fact I was told that Tinkerbell was born at Stanway! At the front of Stanway House is a beautiful large bay window made with an old yellow glass. Apparently J M Barrie was inside when he noticed a dot of light prancing across the wall, it was the sun catching on the Golden Cockerel on the church tower and reflecting through the window onto the wall....Tinkerbell was Born ! Some say that this isn't correct but I think it's such a nice story that I want to believe it.
The Limehouse is next to another old building where Richard Podd a stonemason works. Next To Richard is a beautiful mill pond and the old Mill. The Mill has been through many uses including a fulling mill and Saw mill. It has now been restored to being a flour mill and is due to be open to the public this year.www.nationalmillweekend.co.uk Initially a lovely and very clever man called Christopher Wallis was restoring the mill and wheel but unfortunately died. His Father ,Barnes Wallis was a pioneer in many engineering works as well as the design of the bouncing bomb. Christopher was such a peaceful man and he told me that his father didn't like being remembered for this.His father was grieved at the loss of so many airmen in the Dambusters raid. Barnes Wallis designed geodesic frames for planes, wings and for the frame work of the R100 Vickers airship. Christopher was a very inspiring ,friendly and an interesting man and I'm sorry that he isn't still around and that I can't have more conversations with him.

1 comment:

  1. KATIE PLEASE KEEP PRIVATE AT THE MOMENT:

    Hi Katie, Really like this piece about the local history. I have actually sketched a picture of the thatched cricket pavilion in Stanway and put it on my flickr photostream :
    www.flickr.com/photos/studiohyde
    I have mentioned you as the source for this sketch and if its ok with you I'll put it into the flickr group Drawing from Photographs and mention your site in full. If you're not happy with that then I don't mind.

    I AM HAPPY FOR YOU TO PUBLISH THIS IF YOU ARE,BUT YOU MAY WANT TO EDIT THE CAPITAL LETTER BITS.

    all the best, ann.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

Blog Top Sites