Thursday, 30 December 2010

wood graining

I love wood graining! Not only are there many beautiful woods but you use many different materials and techniques to mimic the individual grains. Just before Xmas John Pocket ran and he mentioned that Ratcliffes were no longer producing graining scumbles. I expect there will be some panic buying. The standard oak and mahogany scumbles are very useful, especially for the graining on old boats and in old pubs. The scumbles are tins of ready mixed colour that only need to be thinned before using. I haven't used any ready mixed colours for a long time preferring to mix my own. I also work using water based paints. If you are trying to copy very truthfully then I feel that you need to make your own colours, but for more folk based projects the Ratcliffe scumbles are great...so I will be trying to get a few cans before they all go. An end to an era .Most people wouldn't think that wood can be imitated and it's not one of the more popular techniques. It takes a while to learn and can easily look like treacle, but I'm sure it has a future. Ecologically it has to be better to copy rare and expensive woods rather than having to cut down rainforest's and the like.
One use of graining that is getting popular is the painting of old black beams. Instead of having a messy clean and sand they can be painted. The benefit of graining also means that if the beam is very flat it can be given an interesting grain. I painted two rooms in a local manor house and even though I say it myself it really brightened the place and looked the business.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

Blog Top Sites