Thursday, 9 September 2010

Gilding, gilding and more gilding !

Yes I am busy gilding furniture and lots of it. It's strange how work varies but you can also have a sudden burst of one technique, almost as though it has suddenly become fashionable. A couple of months ago I was dragging the walls of a bedroom in blue, only to find a friend Miles was doing the same up in Cheshire.
The purity of gold is expressed in carat. This is the number of parts of pure gold contained in a metal which is thought of as being composed of 24 parts.Fine gold is 24 parts of gold out of 24 so is known as 24ct. An alloy of 22 parts gold and 2 parts of other metals is known as 22ct. The other metals added to the gold change it's hardness and colour.. I am using 23 1/4ct for my furniture. The gold leaf is supplied in books of either loose or transfer. The transfer leaf is used for oil gilding and for outside work. Loose leaf is mainly used for water gilding....but that's another story...but now I must get back to my gold leaf !

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie,
    Look forward to seeing your guilded work!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Translate

Blog Top Sites