Sunday, 4 July 2010

Time flies

I can hardly believe it, my last blog was almost a month ago. I must try to write each week ! Stow Horse fair went well but I have now got to the age where I hear myself say..'It's not what it used to be '...but it really is quite a different fair to how it was twenty years ago. For me each year there are less of the real characters, the old faces I've known and seen for years, but it is still worth going to. I took Jane from the Winds of Change Gallery in Winchcombe...she was quite surprised ! not quite what she expected...but I won't go into details....if you can try to go .
If you are ever in Winchcombe, do visit The Winds of Change Gallery, it has some beautiful exhibitions and Jane is a very creative person and a huge supporter and encourager of artists .You can visit her website at www.windsofchangegallery.co.uk
Apologies for doing something to the pictures on my website ! I was just updating my other site www.thedecorativepainter.co.uk when somehow I appear to have blanked them all. I'm hoping that maybe it is just my computer but it's too late for me to try and sort it...tomorrow will do.
This week I am gilding some Pawnbroker Balls....yes the jokes have been fast and furious....and funny and yes they are a handful . The sign of the three golden balls originated in the mid eighteenth century. It derives from the Medici family in Florence, Italy. Legend had it that one of the Medici's in the employment of Emperor Charles the Great, fought a giant and slew him with three sacks of rocks. The three balls later became part of their family crest. Apparently the supporters of the rulers of Florence used to shout the Italian equivalent of "ball! balls! balls! " when running into Battle. The Medici Family were very successful bankers and lenders in the fifteenth century. They became so well known that other bankers and lenders adopted their sign so they became the symbol of the whole profession. Another interesting fact is the song Pop goes the Weasel is about the pawnbroking profession. Pop means to pawn and Weasel is the cockney rhyming slang for coat. Well all the best, I'll write again very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

Blog Top Sites